22 April 2008

long time gone

So last night before bed, I was leafing through my tattered copy of Little Women when I noticed something that got me thinking. Clothing and appearances, in general, are an important part of the novel and the author writes pages describing things like dresses and accessories. What I found so interesting was how much more attention the characters paid to details such as the fabric and cut of a dress than people nowadays do. Back in the day being well dressed consisted of having good-quality clothes made of luxurious material and cut in flattering shapes. People paid attention to details and craftsmanship, whereas now most of us pay more attention to the label sewn onto the clothes. We spend our money on poorly made, ill-fitting clothes because they happen to be the brand of the moment.

Most likely, the reason that this great difference exists is that our clothes now come ready-made. All we have to do is buy them, contrasting the 1800s, when one had to buy material and make clothing oneself. They truly put a bit of themselves into every article of clothing they made.

I wonder what would happen if everyone bought a sewing machine and, once again, began to create their own clothes; sewing, decorating, and accessorizing, pouring a little something of ourselves into every outfit we wear?

just a thought.

love--
the newbies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with every word
whenever i watch the oldies i wish that dressing up on a daily basis were still something instinctive
i do think though, now with the whole vintage vague, that we are breaking the whole "label" thing and that more people are going to thrift shops and just buying things they like, regardless. Also, I'd have to say that if someone gave me Rodarte dress that actually didn't suit me at all and maybe wasn't even that pretty, I'd wear it. Just cause I find Rodarte inspiring and I look up to the disigners, the label as a whole and would be delighted to have anything that came from it. I think of it as a painting too. If I were to get my hands on a Klimt (I'm obviously blwoing things a little out of proportion), even if it wasn't his best painting, I'd hang it for everyone to see.

rawrriamsam said...

very nice topic.
yes yes yes.
love you girls!
ps. i'm stalking you.
whahahhwhwmmwhahahwhmwhah.