13 May 2008

to the hilt.

I have been to 5 funerals in the past year.
5 funerals for people who have died far too young.
5 grieving families.
5 caskets to kneel next to.
5 gravesides to stand by.

Naturally, this would prompt the statement "Gosh, life is short."
But that's wrong.

Life is not short.
Life is long.
Every second, every minute, every hour, every day is long.
And each seems to fly by,
wrought with missed opportunities and unreached potential.
Life is not long.
Life is unique.
Life is rare.

Every moment of your life offers you a chance to do something great, something unexpected, something fabulous.
Be it bursting into song in the middle of the street or wearing hot pink sparkly shoelaces with blue high-tops,
the opportunities that each minute offers are irreplaceable.

As Audrey Hepburn once said, "Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt."

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Wow, that's way too many funerals for a young person to have to attend. I like how your example of something unexpected to do is wear hot pink sparkly shoe laces with blue high-tops. I'm not being sarcastic--I actually like the idea that clothes can be a way to make every minute of your life exciting.

Dara the Dandy! said...

I'm sure the purpose of sharing something so personal was so your readers can recieve some sign of ephihany (sp), but instead, you've just reassured what I've been thinking all along and it makes me feel less alone. I applaude you for sharing something like this, it was very brave.