20 May 2008

So what?

Last night my best friend dyed my hair. Prior to yesterday,
my hair was a very light brown with an auburn touch. I am
now the proud owner of an (almost) black mane. If I'm honest,
last night, I wasn't so much proud as embarrassingly dramatic.
I was close to tears and the wall very nearly felt my fists
meagre wrath.

You know that old cliché 'Everything looks better in the morning'?
It really is true. I woke up, looked in the mirror and felt ashamed
at my behaviour the previous evening. I wondered why I had had
such a change of heart and I just realised that it didn't matter.

So what if the darkness of my hair gives me a ghostly pallor?
So what if people disapprove and criticize?

Ah, and it is within the latter question that we reach our problem.
The opinions of others do matter to the majority of us. I've
now realised that last night I didn't really have the problem with
my hair -in truth it doesn't even look that bad- but what people
might think of my hair. Alas, call me a sheep - but I am fairly
confident that even the most gusty of us have felt insecurity at
one point of their lives.

I suppose the message is to do what you want and as you wish.
Live your life without conforming to fashion rules and the majority.
Inject a little diversity into life.

So what is you don't wear what the fashion magazines 'advise'
you to wear?
At least you'll stand out in a sea full of followers.

So what if your make up isn't perfect?
At least you're having fun.

So what if my hair is black?
At least I look mysterious...kind of.

By the way, I'm Laura. Nice to meet you.

No comments: