11 May 2008

scraped knees and scary dreams.



You know what I loved most about being a kid? The fact that almost everything in the world was the way I wanted it to be (with the exception of the occasional time out, nightmares, or scraped knees).

Growing up was fine, I guess, but the worst part about growing up, the most painful part about growing up, is discovering that things in the world are different than you thought they were when you were little.

Like when I thought it was magic how those big maps at the zoo always knew where I was, whether I was looking at the lions, or the hippos.

Like when I thought that your food went down into your stomach in big chunks so the reason why you could eat icecream after you were full was because it would melt in your stomach between the big chunks.


I guess I'm writing about all of this because I am in a transitional stage in my life, leaving my childhood behind, and growing into an adult. A cultured, sophisticated, glamourous, fancy pancy adult.

And the other day in french class, when my french teacher told us that crumpets and english muffins were the same thing I went crazy.

"What!" I gasped.

"You didn't know?"

"But...I thought crumpets were little cookie like things... crumpets and tea? anyone? anyone?"

This realized misconception was like a shocker. A slap in the face.

"Hey Fred, you're growing up! You don't have time for misconceptions and make believe anymore"

I wanted to go back. Back to the days when I would make "crumpets" out of play-doh and pretend that I was having tea in England with all my dollies.

But instead, I had to take out my french homework, and begin the lesson.

-Fréd

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I don't think crumpets and english muffins are the same thing. I know crumpets aren't cookies, but crumpets have a lot of little holes in them and taste weird. It might just be that english muffins in the US are made differently than english muffins in Europe, but still.