25 January 2008

Run run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the stress free man...

I feel as though school is a joke. Sure, the point is to get an education, but sometimes I feel as though the point is to stress us out instead of actually teaching us things. Don't get me wrong, I love to learn. I love to read books, scribble across everything, analyze every symbol, and look at everything. The themes, plot, character development. Classic. But what I feel is going on, is that as students, we are all getting assignments and projects that are stressing us instead of teaching us. Do you think this is just school? Nope. Think about it. Everywhere we go, stress stress stress. Why does society need to be so stressful? Why is it that my homework is permitting me to have 30 minutes of down time per day, and 5 hours of sleep, on average, per night? What happened to the value of learning? And the things we are learning? They just got shoved into a textbook and a curriculum that teachers need to squeeze in before the semester is over. Sure, there will always be some stress, but the pressures and restrictions that are put on me as a teenager make me go mad. 

Just a rant.

Enjoy the picture. 

-Fred

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I think the education system should be like Rousseau's Emile. Where the students choose what they want to learn and only go to class/teachers when they need help.

Stephanie said...

Completely agree with this post and the above comment! I realized this when I went to Paris for a month this summer and ended up basically teaching myself a year's worth of French. I wish we could cut out all the pointless tests/papers/projects/sucking up and just focus on the actual learning..