21 January 2008

follow the pattern,the headlines,the hemlines

I thought i would introduce myself before i start to really write/post anything. I figure it's a lot easier to connect with a writer or at least understand where I'm coming from if you actually know the person behind the blog entries. My name is Sakeisha. Music influences every aspect of my life, especially my fashion sense. My genres of a choice are 80's rock and pop, indie/alternative and yes, some top 40 hits have managed to creep their way into my play list. Not only only do i love expressing myself through clothes, but i love expressing myself through accessories as well. I sometimes follow trends and i'm not afraid to admit that. Yea, I bought two pairs of earrings because i swear i saw Hilary Duff wearing a pair. Lots of fashion lovers cringe whenever they hear me say that, but so what?


Some people are against trends and feel as though trends are the very thing that suppresses individuality, I believe we must be open to them since they are a representation of the society we live in. It's the mirror effect. I must admit that while i'm a sucker for trends I don't just mindlessly follow them. I use current trends as a basis. I feel like everyone needs the framework of trends, current or past, to build their own individuality


So what if someone's personal style changes as each trend comes and goes? Style and fashion is meant to evolve. How can you truly find yourself if you refuse to succumb to societal trends? You need to try different looks to find the real you. Whether people would like to admit it or not, their current fashion style was influenced by a trend they've seen at some point in their life. It's now your job to take that trend and make it your own and have it reflect who you are as a person.




Throughout the years i have tried so many looks for myself. Following those trends have helped me develop into who i am today: a nice blend between 80's hip hop ( gold chains and hoops anyone?), gothic (the love for crosses, rosaries, fleur-de-lys, and the colour black), sophistication (or at least the desire to be) and "glamorous" (the love for big hair, beautiful makeup, heels, jewellery and the desire to own at least one designer item). But, by no means do i feel like i'm finished evolving. I will adopt certain aspects and discard others and in the end (hopefully sooner than later) i will find myself and find that perfect balance of styles. Until then i will continue to flip through my cosmos, vogue, nylon etc. and find fashion inspiration from that.

-sakeisha xo

1 comment:

The Music Plays For Free said...

hey i totally agree with you!!
and i am right on with the music!

and i think my justification for reading those magazines are not for the sex tips for crying out loud but for the current fashion trends
haha FOR THE SAKE OF FASHION!! THEY SAID!!

i really like where you're mind's at
holler at me on fb