06 February 2008

Weird Clothes.



So story: The other day, I was going to the post office to mail something for my mother. I was standing in line waiting for my turn when this little boy (who was probably 3?) poked me and said, "Why do you wear silly clothes like that?" His mother was all like "Tim! Please apologize!!! I'm so sorry! He just likes to ask too many questions sometimes! Tim! What do you say to this nice girl..."

But instead of just accepting the apology, and then running away to hide, I thought to myself, why do I wear such strange clothes?

And I came up with this: I feel as though it is my responsibility to feel good in what I wear, almost as if my clothes are a part of me, and they speak on my behalf. Sometimes, I look at pictures, like this one, and I think to myself, "What the hell was I thinking when I put this on?" But I almost realize that it doesn't really matter. Sure, I'm mortified now of some of my fashion choices, but wouldn't you rather put on a crazy outfit, and feel good, then wear the typical jeans and a tee every single day and feel like something is missing?

Maybe some of you would disagree with me, but I guess that's what makes fashion so interesting. Yes, fashion is "what's in and what's out" (I'm sure that Heidi Klum would agree...) but I think it is also an expression of self. And wearing something crazy, to me, shows that you are comfortable with yourself. By avoiding the norm, you are put on a pedestal and the world is watching. They'll probably hate it, (or maybe they'll love it) but regardless, you were brave enough to jump on that pedestal in the first place. They're only watching.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't be afraid to look different! Take risks! They may have horrible and regretful outcomes, but I would rather wear that "silly" outfit any day then be looking up at others on the pedestal.

-Fréd