23 February 2008

the figs


My grandfather planted a fig tree in his garden, and my grandmother used to sit me on her lap, where the sun shone on her white hair, where the wind used to blow the fragrance of roses and jasmine our way in the humid afternoon. We were shielded by grape vines and she spoke to me in arabic, “Habibti, kele koz ateen.” My love, Eat this fig. Reluctantly, I took a bite, and that was my first slice of heaven.


And as I wear this Moustache dress from downtown Beirut, with American Apparel stockings, sweet memories flow into my mind, and I smile, just a little, when I think, ‘who said fashion and food couldn’t go together?’






-sara

3 comments:

ashley said...

figs are absolutely delicious.

nadia said...

that dress is absolutely gorgeous.

Andy said...

this is intersting! i love the dress.