29 June 2008


So, despite Dion's rather horrid sense of head wear throughout the movie, I still think that Clueless is one of the best films ever produced. Like, for me this rivals The Godfather, Scarface, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, if they were all melted together into one movie and instead of a bunch of Italian mobsters, Latin American drug dealers, and hobbits, there were very pretty, very spoiled, very shallow (or are they?) valley girls all over the place. Who says you can't dress up in an outfit consisting entirely of yellow plaid? Not I. [Actually, I should probably confess that after watching this movie too many times recently, I am developing a rather dangerous obsession with all things plaid. Shirts, skirts, you name it. It's fabulously tacky and I adore every minute of it.] I appreciate Cher's, Dion's, and Ty's bold sense of fun and the way they seem to say "fuck it, I want to wear lingerie to school in order to entice that brutally hot new guy, who will soon turn out to be gay but is nevertheless completely precious". Honestly, in all fairness, and because I love this movie too much to just complain about the 90s fashion, for every truly hideous crop top, there is an equally gorgeous Calvin Klein slip dress. Oh, and Paul Rudd. Yum. Wait. Was I getting somewhere? Oh yeah. The girls of Clueless know that fashion is about fun and freedom of expression and, ok, sometimes making that cutie in debate class think about you naked. But only sometimes. So for the most part, I say fuck it. Don your yellow plaid and plastic hats. I'll still think you're a total betty.

2 comments:

TL said...

OMG. I so so so agree with you. I LOVE Clueless!
xoxo

Youth League and the Spies

Couture Carrie said...

Say, Ambular, great post!! J'adore this movie!