22 June 2008

allons-y a la musica




Bill Cunningham told me about how young men's pants are dropping down as the stock market goes down.

Just like women's hemlines went down after the stock market crash of 1929. He says it all in the "multimedia presentation", stating that today's falling pants is the opposite of back then's falling hemlines. I think that was one of the first things he said. Both of them are falling, yet, one situation causes dress to be more conservative, while the other causes dress to be less conservative. To me, those falling skirt/dress hemlines seem to be saying that the nonsense of the 1920's is over, and it's time to get serious again. While dropping pants? I'm not sure what that says or implies about things, especially in relation to the economy.

Its all an interesting observation that I'll have to look into.
See it all for yourself:

http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?query=%22on%20the%20street%22&srchst=m

-Fréd

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

I listened to this a couple days ago. I thought it was quite ridiculous. The falling waistlines on men have been around for ages, not just recently.